(The Ohio State University)
[265K GIF image]
Elder Calvin Harlow Swain and his sons were the first settlers in the area, arriving in Michigan in 1832 with a surge of new settlers from New York State. Swain filed the first land claim in the area on June 16, 1832. A split in the church lead to a spilt in the town, too. On August 5, 1836, a document was filed in the county office in Jackson along with a plat of Brooklyn, and the name of the village officially became Brooklyn.
In 1870, due to the efforts of Addison Cook and Joseph Griswold, the first railroad came to Brooklyn.
The weekly newspaper, The Brooklyn Exponent, (now The Exponent) has chronicled the happy and tragic events of the community from 1881 until today.
Today Brooklyn, Michigan is a small touristy town with many historical interests.
The town is filled with antique malls and gift shops, one of the biggest being
Stagecoach Stop U.S.A.
and Golden Nugget Restaurant. It was named Business of the Year in 1995 by The
Brooklyn/Irish Hills Resorter. It was founded by Fred and Dorothy Bahlau
It started with a 200 foot building that housed a general store, carriage museum, and small refreshment stand. Today it encompasses approximately 32 acres. In addition to the other features mentioned, it has a children's petting zoo, crafts people performing the lost arts, street shows, panning for gold, a wedding chapel, steam engine display, sawmill and now an amphitheater with continuous entertainment.
Most people come to enjoy the old-time atmosphere and to camp in the area around Brooklyn. Also the Michigan International Speedway draws people to Brooklyn in the summer.
Source: Brooklyn/Irish Hills Resorter (Summer/Fall/Winter 1995)